Appliance such as these can be applied without any pre-pigmentation however it does mean more work when colouring them later. So with this one i’m going to colour it using oil paints. You can get silicone pigments for standard flesh tones, however as my model has quite a unique skin tone that I haven’t worked with before the oil paint method can get a closer tone. I spoke to Kristyan Mallett asking him what the best method is for applying flat pieces to darker skin tones and he said to pre-colour them a caramel colour. This will stop them from becoming to ash in tone and looking grey.
First process was to colour the teeth this meant mixing up some platsilgel 10 without any deadener this is so that they are harder and move like a sold object.
When colouring it I mixed white oil paint with ochre paint, so that they don’t look too white I added alot of pigment because I didn’t want the teeth to be translucent
Filling the just the teeth was difficult as the silicone wanted to run into other parts. If I stretched the mould apart it ruined the cap plastic This is turn meant that I just had to take my time using a wooden spatula broken in half. Using the oil paint slightly retards the cure of the silicone. Which was good for this process as it allowed more time to fill the holes.
Holes filled with creamy coloured platsil gel 10
When it came to colouring the silicone for the main flesh part I took the colour match silicone that I tested on my model at the beginning of the project. This way I could keep adding various shades of green, purple, brown and yellow oil paints,
I also added in green and red flock, as after to talking to Pete Tindal he spoke about how darker skins have a lot of green and yellow undertones.
For the main silicone piece I used plat-gel 00 deadened by 10%
one thing that I found difficult was filling the overflow areas around my moulds that are intended for edges to hold on to, to save the thing edges of the cap plastic from getting damaged. Here is the image from the previous post showing the colour matching. As stated in the post this is to ash in tone for my model, so when matching to it I remembered to add slightly more warmer tones, to avoid it appearing grey.